Thursday, September 6, 2012

These Kids

#16
Anne Chemtai

As I write this post and edit these photos I am becoming increasingly emotional. I have not even gotten to the point of the profiles where I have to return to the children's files and read their stories again, and I am choked up. These kids... they are incredible.

Each one has such a big personality and such an overwhelming story, yet most of them are not even in the double digits.They are already so strong and so smart. Every day these kids find a new way to fascinate me. I am so lucky to get the opportunity to spend my time with them.

Each time David comes over for a quick snuggle and I hear Nancy's giggle my heart absolutely melts. When Chemtai continually proves how much smarter than me she is, I become even more grateful for Obahdiah's patience in teaching me new things and Ian's forgiving nature when I have asked the same question 20 times.  And when Timo's constant mischievousness becomes too much for me it hardly matters, because Pheobe's laid back attitude will calm me down in no time. When I see Ogwambo in the garden I know it is being well taken care of, and if Jackie is in the kitchen you better believe I will be having some of whatever she is whipping up. I love listening to Kepha tell me allllllll about his day in Swahili and then expecting a response (other than sawa sawa), and Ester's sassy remarks bring a smile to my face even when they are at my expense. Watching Teresia flit around as tiny and nimble as a fairy and seeing Angela constantly mothering the young ones fills me with joy and when Rogers walks all the way across the compound to greet me every time I arrive he makes me feel like the most important person alive.When I catch Dominque giving the other kids driving lessons I know it's probably not the best idea, but who am I to ruin the fun of these kids? They have been dealt a hand I wouldn't wish on anyone and without hesitation they continue to thrive. These kids persevere no matter what life throws at them. They are the brightest, silliest, and most complex group of children I could imagine. They test my tolerance, they inspire me, and they make me laugh daily. I am so happy to know them.

1 comment: