Monday, April 15, 2013

Back in the +254!


I am back!!! I can hardly believe it still. I left DFW on Thursday at about 6pm and arrived at NBO Friday at 9pm to the best welcome home committee I could ask for! Ben, Tom, Sam, and Hassan, four of my best friends here, were waiting at the arrivals gate with signs that said “Karibu tena Portia!”(welcome back Portia) Having a sign at the airport is kind of a dream of mine and it was so exciting to see! It was so good to see so many friendly faces as soon as I stepped off the plane. “Hope you’re ready to go out tonight!” they greeted me, and I was immediately grateful I had been able to sleep on the plane.
                We piled into the too small taxi and headed towards Ngong. On the ride home we caught up and chatted about all the things that had changed in the last six months and how exciting it was to be back so soon. When the taxi pulled up to our apartments the gentlemen carried my luggage upstairs, I was mighty nervous as they opened the front door to my new home. Ben showed me around and I decided that I was quite pleased with the apartment. It is definitely going to be an adjustment living in Kenya as a mzungu, but it is one I am excited to experience. I washed up a bit and changed from my airplane clothes and we headed to Friends, one of our favorite pubs in town. Being all caught up in the time changes and traveling I had forgotten it was a Friday night, so when we got to Friends most of the patrons were in full weekend mode. After sitting down at a table we ordered drinks and nyama choma. That first sip of Kingfisher combined with the African beats coming from the dance floor made me feel like I had never left the country. It was nice to sit around the table drinking and talking about Football (soccer) and the inconveniences of the rainy season, so unlike my conversations at home, but still familiar all the same. After we had exhausted our time at Friends and I had grown too weary to stay out any longer we returned home and I fell into an exhausted sleep with the music on and our company still lively in the other room.
                My first full day back in Kenya was one for the books! I slept in slightly and when I woke up Ben and lounged about the living room planning for the party we would have later that evening. After a (hot!) shower and some coffee I headed to Faraja to see my kids for the first time in many months. I was so anxious as I walked down the road towards the children’s home. Would they remember me? Would things be different? About half way through the quarter mile walk a car pulled up next me and rolled down his window. “Karibu Kenya” the man said, among a few other friendly seeming things in Kiswahili that left me quite confused. I smiled at the man and started to walk away when the car door opened. Out stepped three women with very big smiles on their faces and it took my brain a few seconds to register that standing before me was Mum Moraa, Becky and Aruse. After about three confused blinks I broke into a fit of laughter and launched myself into a series of enormous hugs. Turns out the women had been on their way to town, but upon coming across me they thanked the driver and we walked back to Faraja together. After walking about another 30 yards I saw a small girl pop out of the gate at Faraja. She turned yelled something in Kiswahili towards the home and then took off running in my direction. I met her half way and picked Nancy up in the biggest hug I've probably ever received. Soon as I put her down I looked up to see more and more kids piling out of the compound squealing with delight. For the next five minutes my world was one of pure happiness as kids jumped and climbed all over me. There was so many hugs and so many people saying my name at once. I didn’t know I could possibly hold five kids at once, but the kids made sure it happened as we clamored back through the gate.
                It was such a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the kids remembered me. Even the youngest babies who could not talk the last time I was hear were giggling and saying “Poosha! Poosha! Mimi tena!” (Portia pick me up again!) I walked around the compound and greeted every child with a hug, the older kids were especially kind in their greetings and I was so grateful to be welcomed back. Taking in the changes around the home filled me with hope! Things are moving in the right direction and Faraja has come so far in the last year. I will have plenty to write about on this subject very soon!
                After I left Faraja I headed to the juice shop, which if you've heard me say much about Kenya than you know this juice shop is one of my favorite things here. Soon as I walked in Justus and Phillip’s eyes lit up and there was plenty more hugging. I had a mango/passion juice and it was delicious! Every drop tasted like happiness and glee. After chatting about the recent elections and the success of the shop it was time for me to go and Justus informed me my juice was on the house for the day. It was a pleasant reunion and just typing about it makes me thirsty for more.
                Next on the agenda for the evening was to get the house party ready. We stocked up on booze and meat and brought out all the chairs we had. By 11pm our conservatively sized apartment was quite full and out liquor stock was depleting fast. The music was up loud and there was meat on the grill. It was about that time that our power went out. Ben popped his head out our front door and when he came back he said to me, “it’s only our apartment, I think we’re being too loud.” He went downstairs to talk to the security guard and after a carefully placed 100Ksh ($1.25) bribe our power was back on. About thirty minutes later the size of our party had doubled. Cards were dealt, toasts were made, and the bass was booming, everyone was having a great time. At about 2am our electricity was cut again, this time with the promise that our music would not return. Thankfully this didn't ruin the mood and things continued until about 4am. After plenty of nyama choma , 5 bottles of whiskey, 2 bottles of vodka, and 3 boxes of wine it was safe to say that we were pretty well spent. People trickled out one by one until there was finally enough space to sleep.
                I can’t fathom what more I could have wanted from my first 24 hours back in Ngong. This place has been my second home for a long while now, but it can still be nerve wracking to return after an absence. Just walking around town so many people have recognized me and given me a simple welcome back that I really feel like I never left. I am happy to be back on my streets with the good and the bad of this town and I am excited to see where the next six months takes me!



Also, I just got a PO BOX this morning I am I really very excited about it. I would really love to have some mail while I am here so if you're interested in sending a letter my way I would certainly return the favor!

Portia Duke
PO BOX 1069-00208
Ngong Hills, Kenya

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment