Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Return to Faraja

Day one at Faraja is complete! It was really great to see how much has changed since I left, and to be frank just about everything has.

Since my departure last April Faraja has acquired new land for the time being (meaning it is rented). The land they are on now is so much bigger than before. They have room for quite an extensive garden which has been planted, but recently flooded. Also they home they are living in is enough to give a couple of rooms each for boys and girls. They have a kitchen and a living room and even the beginnings of an office. Faraja now supports 2 full grown cows and one calf, as well as 3 goats for milking. The new home is located directly behind the school that the children attend which is nice because they don't have such a long walk to and from school. This is much safer for the children.

Moraa often tell me that she "gives birth" at least once a year and with that declaration comes the addition of many new faces to Faraja. There are at least 4-5 kids I do not yet. The only new addition that I really got to know yesterday is a young girl named Christine who is just 16 months old and has taken the place of Kepha as the "baby" (or mtoto in Swahili) of the house. Christine came to Moraa in October of last year when her family abandoned her. She crawls around the house being "helpful" and asking for more sugar in her chai in the most adorable manner ever. The rest of the kids seem to be happy and about as healthy as they get and I can't wait to spend more time with everyone.

For those of you who read my blog last year, you will certainly remember Kepha. If you can believe it now; he is all grown up and in school. Yesterday I saw some of the boys walking home with him and when I called his name he ran up to me and I gave him the biggest hug. He is so precious in his school uniform and seems so happy to be studying. I have said it time and time again and I will stand by it: that kid is far smarter than his age. He also is speaking minimal english and I laughed with joy every time he would answer my questions during lunch.

While there is plenty of good things to say about the transformation Faraja has undergone, there is also many things that need to be fixed. Recently the orphanage had 325 chickens that they depended on for eggs to sell as in income to the home. Over the weekend every single one died from a cause we have yet to discover. this was a huge loss to the home and one that we are struggling to make up. I have suggested we start a rabbit project in the months that I am here. We've all heard the expression...we know rabbits breed quite quickly and according to Moraa a single rabbit can sell for up to 2,000 Ksh in the market and if all works out well this could be a good project for the orphanage to run. As with any project there are many things to consider before things get underway, and funds are still a bit short for such a project, but with any luck maybe this is something that could be implemented into Faraja.



A few separate things to note; I weighed myself on the second day I was here. I am 105 starting so for those of you who have been hearing of my hope to gain weight in Kenya we will see how that goes.

Also... it is freezing here. I did not pack near enough warm clothes. Each morning until about noon it is between 50-60 degrees and very overcast. I have had to buy a new zipup jacket and socks at the market to stay warm. It is so nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. I definitely couldn't be happier with this weather!

I believe I may go to Outreach this weekend so if you don't here from me for a while that will be why. Hope everyone has a very festive 4th of July!!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment